Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A great soul, a far-out hairdo, the death of gay culture, a wacky judge, and some Jew-haters

Today, a guest blog from from brockley.blogspot regular correspondent Jogo.

A great soul

The great soul Paul Pena died.

When I read that the magnificent soul Paul Pena had died I went looking around for Tuva music. And I found these singers:

Look them up on and listen to some clips. You will be AMAZED. You will be transported to other worlds. [Sainkho Namchylak is listed at Amazon under a variety of names, including Sainkho Namchilak and just Namchylak. -B]

Fair Out Hairdo
Hairdo's don't get much better than this. For more views, from different angles, search for |joe allbaugh| in google images. (Mr. Allbaugh is a director of FEMA, in case you're wondering what his purpose in society is.) [This is my favourite. -B]

The compulsion to |agree/disagree| is so silly ... uh, don't you agree? I think good minds are pleasures in and of themselves. Here is Andrew Sullivan using Phillip Larkin to make a possibly interesting point.
"THE END OF JAZZ: I have an essay in the next New Republic, soothingly titled "The End of Gay Culture." And like most writers, ideas that I have read elsewhere but have now integrated themselves into my way of thinking are sometimes hard to pin down. That's why I asked if any reader knew the precise origin of my half-baked notion that the British poet, Philip Larkin, had once complained that the civil rights movement was ruining Jazz. My readers are among the smartest on the web so I knew someone could find the precise reference. I rummaged through the brilliant collection, "All What Jazz," to no avail. Anyway, a reader came through and here's the money quote from an essay in that collection called "The End of Jazz":
"The American Negro is trying to take a step forward that can be compared only with the ending of slavery in the nineteenth century. And despite the dogs, the hosepipes and the burnings, advances have already been made towards giving the Negro his civil rights under the constitution that would have been inconceivable when Louis Armstrong was a young man. These advances will doubtless continue. They will end only when the Negro is as well housed, educated and medically cared-for as the white man.
There are two possible consequences in this for jazz. One is that if in the course of desegregation the enclosed, strongly-characterized pattern of Negro life is broken up, its traditional cultures such as jazz will be diluted. The Negro did not have the blues because he was naturally melancholy. He had them because he was cheated and bullied and starved. End this, and the blues may end too.
Secondly, the contemporary Negro jazz musician is caught up by two impulses: the desire to disclaim the old entertainment, down-home, give-the-folks-a-great-big-smile side of his profession that seems today to have humiliating associations with slavery's Congo Square; and the desire for the status of musical literacy, for sophistication, for the techniques and instrumentation of straight music. I should say that Mingus's remark ["jazz means discrimination"] was prompted by the first of these, and much of his music by the second. The Negro is in a paradoxical position: he is looking for the jazz that isn't jazz. Either he will find it, or -- and I say this in all seriousness -- jazz will become an extinct form of music as the ballad is an extinct form of literature, because the society that produced it is gone."
I think something similar is now happening to gay culture as we have known it these past thirty years or so. I'll link to the essay when it's posted, if TNR allows me to."

What would Philip Larkin (not an expert on everything, needless to say) make of Flavor Flav and Public Enemy, I wonder? True, Larkin saw into something with clarity, but there were (and will continue to be) other outcomes than the ones he envisioned. As for the point Sullivan is making, I eagerly await hearing what he has to say.

Honorable, decent, strong people
Ha ha, fooled you. This is actually about dishonorable and weak people -- the Norwegians (formerly a great people) who are now such contemptible masochists and piss-queens that they deserve to be slaves of the Caliphate they seem eager to welcome. Mark my words, some day the Norwegians will be cleaning toilets for Arabs. Or maybe just hanging out in them and smoking cigarettes, luridly and provocatively posturing. [LINK]

Harriet Miers
Florking hilarious.

Peace ... now?
I am one of those Americans who sees Cindy Sheehan as wicked and moronic. And I see her fan club that way, too. To me they are, most of them, classic Useful Idiots. I pretty much agree with how William Shawcross, in this column, views things.
So it's not just passivity, or even indifference, that causes me to stay well away from the "peace" movement. I stay away because I think the "peace" movement is wicked, albeit largely out of willful ignorance. And I go a bit further than that -- I think the "peace" movement, insofar as it's deeply entwined with the anti-Israel ("hate-Israel" isn't too strong a term) axis is actually evil.
Yup, that's what I think. It's ironic that lefties don't believe in Hell, because that is where a lot 'em are going ... when the tally is reckoned.
"It seems unlikely that many of the so-called peace marchers who trooped through Washington and London two weekends back listened on Thursday -- at least not with an open mind or sympathy -- to George Bush's cogent explanation of why coalition troops are fighting and dying in Iraq." [MORE]

No comments: