- Hail the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea! Andrew C on Andy Newman's Stalinophilia.
- Greater Surbiton on everything Garibaldi has to answer for (except biscuits).
- Iconic photos: Trnopolje, Bosnia, 1992.
- Martin M defends Sonia Sotomayor.
- Flesh is Grass on Press TV and on the UCU Israel boycott.
- Philosopher's Playground with some Memorial Day Yiddish jokes.
- Keith (of Metal Jew) in Ha'aretz on the JCC debate between David Hirsh, Jacqueline Rose and Jonathan Freedland. ("Israel has become the major source of dissensus in the Jewish world, bringing with it real threats to Jewish peoplehood and community. Jews urgently need to find a way to talk to each other on hugely divisive issues without abuse, recrimination, bitterness and hate.") Here's loads more from Engage.
- Four Jews on Parnassus: A conversation of Walter Benjamin with Theodor W.Adorno, Gershom Scholem, and Arnold Schönberg (h/t Jogo).
- Ken on Brockley in lilac time, white people on buses, and the ethnic pychogeography of North London.
- More recommendations from Martin in the Margins (which I saw after writing this post, so the slight overlap is because great minds think alike).
Friday, May 29, 2009
(Stealing Jim's formula again, except I do it as the week ends, and he does it as the weekend ends.)