- Addendum to this post: Here is Howard Jacobson’s major piece in The Independent on contemporary antisemitism. Here are a number of responses published in the Independent. Here is Caryl Churchill’s defence of her play against Howard Jacobson’s criticism. Here is Jacqueline Rose’s defence of Churchill. Here is Saul’s response to Rose. Here is Howard Jacobson’s response, from Comment is Free. [Links nicked from Engage.]
- Addendum to this post: Boffy on Ravenscliffe, where the BNP are mounting another challenge, and how socialists should respond.
- Flesh is Grass is spot on:
I wonder whether COML presenters acknowledge that modern liberty isn’t the only thing we hold dear which is under threat. I wonder if they’ll actively and sympathetically relate to other threats - terror, hate speech and incitement. I can see some speakers whose radars are attuned to such things. But it is too often the case that the people who staunchly defend liberties - free expression being one, free movement another - then retreat, job done, leaving beleaguered minorities on their own to defend themselves against free speech taken to extremes and with no commitment to relevance or political responsibility.On "free speech":
- Further to my endlessly incomplete Geert Wilders posts: the Shiraz Priest on another banning.
- Shiraz Jim on the Morning Star and the Iraqi "Resistance"
- Eamonn on Horatio Gonzalez on Gaza (kind of relevant to debate in comments here)