Kurt Vonnegut

I was sad to read about Kurt Vonnegut's death. He had a huge impact on me when I read him as a teenager. Slaughterhouse 5, in particular, changed the way I thought about things. He taught me that life is absurd - and that the things done in the name of rationality are often the most absurd, and that nothing is more absurd than power - but that this is no reason to let go of humanity, of an ethical perspective. And he taught me that rage at the world and at power need not mean taking the path of hatred and bitterness.

Comments

James Higham said…
Can't argue with that, Bob.
jams o donnell said…
I was sad to hear of his death. He was one of my favourite authors, but he will continue to be read for a very long time and that must be a worthy legacy
Frank Partisan said…
Well written, heartfelt post.
Unknown said…
Again, agreed; it's a sad loss that he's gone.

By the way, hello - I'm another Brockley blogger!

Popular Posts