Immigrant songs 2.2

This is a re-post, as I discovered that the key link was missing, and an e-mail pointing this out to me was languishing in my spam folder for months. I've removed the most out of date content. The rest remains.

Following this post, Martin M has posted this, with Christy Moore's gorgeous version of Woodie Guthrie's "Deportees", Martin's favourite version.


I have nearly half a dozen versions on the computer I'm typing this on, and a couple more on vinyl at my mum and dad's house. Some of the best are Cisco Houston, Bruce Springsteen, Barbara Danes and Arlo Guthrie. Although I was exposed to Woody Guthrie at a young age (folkie Communist fellow travelling family), the first version I heard, as a teenager, was that on The Byrds' Ballad of Easy Rider, one of the best albums ever. It was made after Gene Clark (whose version featured in this post).

P.S. Immigrant songs 3.0 here, featuring Arlo and Emmylou. And read Jogo's comment on the original post here.

If you're into this stuff, check this.



All Woody Guthrie posts here.

Keywords: folk music, mp3

Comments

Martin Meenagh said…
Thanks for the link, Bob. I hope that all is well.

Popular Posts